Project IndustryWater Supply Scheme
Project StatusCompleted, on time and on budget
Water Treatment Plant
Kilmallock and Taylorstown Water Treatment Works Upgrade Contract
Employer – Irish Water (Uisce Eireann) required the upgrade of the 2No existing Water Treatment Works (WTW) facilities at Kilmallock and Taylorstown Co. Wexford. Commissioning Services Ltd (CSL) was the main contractor with WEW as the nominated Consultant Design Engineers were awarded the contract in 2017 to upgrade the works at both sites. The working capacity of each plant is 2,330 m3/day and 4,460m3/day respectively. It was important that the Water Treatment Plants had to remain operational throughout the construction, commissioning and testing of the works. There was limited storage capacity in the existing reservoirs and distribution system so all works were meticulously planned to ensure continuity of water supply for Irish Water customers.
The required works at each Plant were very similar, including the following:
- Replacement of raw water and high lift pumps.
- Repair of Clarifier tanks to stop leaks (Taylorstown only).
- Upgrade of chemical dosing systems.
- Upgrade of filter backwash system including provision of run-to-waste facility.
- Inspection and repair of filter underdrain system including raising of the existing weirs.
- Replacement of gravity filter media.
- Provision/upgrade of chlorine dosing system.
- Upgrade of fluoride dosing system.
- Provision/upgrade of plant automation and control system.
- Upgrade of ESB supply (Taylorstown only).
- Provision of new electrical panels.
- Installation of controls/alarms/interlocks to tie into the existing control system.
- All electrical, mechanical, automation/control, building and civil engineering work.
WEW Engineering Ltd undertook the role of Designers for the Projects, providing the detailed design and engineering requirements for the works as outlined above. Asset and condition surveys were carried out on the existing mechanical & electrical equipment. Followed by specifying the application, hydraulic calculations, required pump duties, pump type, material compatibility, P&ID Diagrams, Piping, valves and accessories.
We provided the design services for the various applications in accordance with relevant IW standards and specifications with primary deliveries including:
- Review of existing flow data and water analysis and assessment for scope for possible Value Engineering or Variation Proposals.
- Process Design to IW Standards, including coagulation, flocculation, pH control and disinfection.
- Hydraulic calculations and pumping specifications.
- Process design, clarification and filtration.
- Detailed P&ID drawings.
- Detailed General Arrangement Drawings.
- Plant Layout drawings.
The Projects were completed and commissioned and are now producing the required quantity and quality of water as per Irish Water requirements. This project entailed working in sync with Commissioning Services Ltd (CSL) the Main Contractor. WEW’s full spectrum of MEICA disciplines were put into practice working with CSL and Uisce Eireann to ensure all designs reached the required standards and to overcome specific issues which occur during refurbishments of existing Plants.
For a look at WEW’s Detailed Engineering Services click here.